Chelsea have taken a step towards signing Edinson Cavani ahead of Manchester United this transfer window.
The Uruguayan is hot property after handing in a transfer request at Paris St-Germain this month.
His contract expires in the summer and he will be free to leave for nothing at the end of the season but so far PSG have been reluctant to conduct business.
A €10m offer was rejected from Atletico Madrid but sporting director Leonardo has admitted Cavani could leave before the end of the month.
“We always said the same thing for Cavani. We hoped that he would stay at the club. Today, he asked to leave. We are studying the situation,” he said on Sunday.
+++ TRANSFER NEWS LIVE +++
“I’m not sure Cavani will be here in February.”
“Today, there is nothing [to say he will leave]. But he has made the proposal to leave.”
And Goal have revealed that discussions have been held between club representatives over a transfer.
Who is finishing fourth in the Premier League?
2000+ VOTES SO FAR
Technical mentor Claude Makelele travelled to France over a deal for 17-year-old Kays Ruiz-Atil and it was reported that talks were also held over a move for Cavani.
However, no official bid has been made for the 32-year-old and it remains to be seen whether a full-frontal pursuit will entail.
Chelsea and Manchester United are keen on Edinson Cavani
But it represents a huge step ahead of United, who are also sniffing around the Uruguay international.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted he may have to enter the transfer market now Marcus Rashford has been ruled out for three months.
The Englishman aggravated an existing injury last week in an FA Cup replay with Wolves which has seen him suffer a double stress fracture in his back.
Top Chelsea News
It means the Red Devils will be without their top goalscorer for the majority of…