Chelsea and Manchester United will have to look elsewhere for a striker after Edinson Cavani turned them down to agree a move with Atletico Madrid.
The Paris St-Germain forward handed in a transfer request at the Parc des Princes ahead of his contract expiring at the end of the season.
A €10m offer was rejected from Atletico earlier in the month but sporting director Leonardo has admitted Cavani could leave before the end of the month.
“We always said the same thing for Cavani. We hoped that he would stay at the club. Today, he asked to leave. We are studying the situation,” he said on Sunday.
“I’m not sure Cavani will be here in February.”
+++ TRANSFER NEWS LIVE +++
“Today, there is nothing [to say he will leave]. But he has made the proposal to leave.”
And it appears that Diego Simeone has got his man after Nicolo Schira reported that an agreement had been reached.
He stated that Atletico have offered €15M plus €3M of bonuses to secure the Uruguayan.
It follows a radio interview Cavani’s father held that stated his ambitions.
Edinson Cavani looks set to join Atletico Madrid
“He wants to leave because he needs to play,” he said on El Chiringuito TV. “I would like him to go to Atletico.”
It will come as a huge blow to Chelsea and United , who were in the hunt for the 32-year-old.
Both are looking for an experienced striker to alleviate the pressure on their current crop.
The Red Devils are in a more desperate position having lost Marcus Rashford for three months.
Today’s top football stories on Daily Star
But Frank Lampard has frequently said that he would like more firepower to secure a spot in the top four of the Premier League.
Cavani was viewed as the ideal candidate after a long career scoring goals for fun.
He will leave PSG as their all-time top goalscorer after 198 goals in 293 games.