On Saturday evening, in the immediate aftermath of an embarrassing FA Cup defeat to West Bromwich Albion, David Moyes said that West Ham were desperately looking to sign new players before the transfer window closes on Friday night.
A few seconds later, though, he conceded that there is unlikely be that much money to spend because of the club’s summer outlay and he will only bring in players who are ready made for first team action.
Asked to realistically put a number on potential incomings this week, Moyes was honest but it was an answer unlikely to thrill many justifiably disgruntled supporters.
“Realistically probably not too many but everyone could see from that we could do with in a few positions,” he said. “But it’s about getting ones who can go right into the team, hit the ground running and help us in the position we’re in. That’s just not that easy.
“You have to remember we’ve spent a lot of money in the summer, so if you’d spent that money and got to January you might say ‘they’ve done the money in the summer, there might not be much in January’. They did do quite a lot in the summer.”
Moyes would ideally like a new midfielder, another option up front and additional body capable of playing at full back.
He said last Friday that the club had been linked with an “incredible” number of players but with a recruitment team that pales dramatically in comparison to other Premier League sides most of those rumours carried little substance.
Midfield is an evident cause for concern with Mark Noble unable to play every game, Declan Rice overrun and Carlos Sanchez proving again on Saturday that the decision to give him a two-year contract worth £70,000 a week excluding performance bonuses was a grave error from Mario Husillos, the director of football sacked along with Manuel Pellegrini last month.
So who is Moyes trying to get in? Everyone knows that there was an approach to sign Ross Barkley…