Mason Mount opens up on Chelsea players’ reaction to their quiet January transfer window

Mason Mount believes that Chelsea’s young players have been given another vote of confidence by the club following a January transfer window in which Frank Lampard’s side failed to sign anyone.

The head coach had been keen to strengthen in attacking areas but despite a long list of potential targets none came to fruition.

As a result the squad that began the campaign, featuring half a dozen recent academy graduates, has now been entrusted with sealing a top four place in the Premier League along with a Champions League round of 16 tie against Bayern Munich.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Click to play
Tap to play

The video will start in8Cancel

Play now

Asked if it was a sign of trust in the young players Mount, who provided both assists in Saturday’s 2-2 draw away to Leicester City, said that the outlook should be no different to beginning of the campaign when the club were still under a transfer ban which was eventually halved by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in early December.

“I think that it was like that from the beginning,” the attacking midfielder said. “Obviously, with the two window ban, we thought it would be two windows where we couldn’t buy any players and that we had to step up as young players and have an effect on games and to be big players for the team.

“We knew that from the beginning of the season. That changed in January but that didn’t change our focus and goal on what we want to do throughout the season.”

Read More
Related Articles

However, Mount also said the players were not too concerned by the transfer speculation of last month.

“It is not something we look at. We focus on what we have and the game ahead. None of the players really look at that unless a player comes in.

“Then make them feel welcome as they come into the team. Our focus is fully on the game ahead and how we can perform.”