Ekpa Arrizbalaga’s Chelsea future is up in the air.
The Spanish keeper will remain at Stamford Bridge until the summer, now the January transfer window has closed, but what happens then is anyone’s guess.
Blues head coach Frank Lampard is unconvinced by the £71million club record signing and dropped his number one for the clash against Leicester City at the King Power Stadium on Saturday lunchtime, following a string of poor performances.
Reports continue to circulate that Lampard is keen to offload the shot stopper in the summer transfer window, with our friends at the Mirror reporting that the head coach faces a battle with the board of directors over his situation.
Click to play
Tap to play
The video will start in8Cancel
Former Chelsea striker Chris Sutton believes Lampard dropping Kepa was a long time coming, and suggested the keeper should have been out of the Stamford Bridge exit door a year ago.
Speaking on BBC 5 Live’s Monday Night Club, Sutton said: “Frank owes him nothing, Chelsea should have got rid of him after his Carabao Cup exploits when he refused to come off [last season under Maurizio Sarri].
“Chelsea have got enough money, he shouldn’t have been part of the club at that stage and his performances haven’t been very good at all.
“Frank has to be ruthless.
“If you’re a defender who do you want behind you Kepa or [Willy] Caballero? Who’s going to make the most saves?
“It doesn’t matter how much they’ve spent if he’s not good enough, he’s not good enough.
“Dropping him has come quite late really, he should have been dropped earlier on in the season.”
That view was supported by former Arsenal man Ian Wright.
He said: “He’s not been good enough, Kepa’s not been good enough. The Hector Bellerin goal was probably the last straw.
“Up to this point I’ve not seen anywhere near £71mworth of goalkeeper and I do feel for Frank because…