Nabil Fekir’s display against Barcelona has got Premier League fans talking.
The Real Betis playmaker started against the La Liga champions on Sunday evening, and capped off a hugely impressive first half with a goal.
The Frenchman’s run and shot earned Betis a penalty after only five minutes, after his strike hit Barca defender Clement Lenglet’s arm in the box, and Sergio Canales made no mistake from the spot.
Frenkie de Jong equalised for the visitors, before Fekir restored Betis’ lead before half-time with a fine left-footed strike past Marc-Andre ter Stegen.
Click to play
Tap to play
The video will start in8Cancel
Fekir was thought to be close to a move to Liverpool in 2018, but the deal broke down in the final stages.
Images were leaked showing the Frenchman in the club’s colours in what appeared to be a filming session to prepare for his announcement.
There were suggestions that the transfer was called off due to a failed medical, but the playmaker previously dismissed those claims.
“What was said is not the truth,” said Fekir in an interview with L’Equipe.
“My knee is good. I had a quick medical check at Clairefontaine. My knee wasn’t even mentioned.
“You want the truth? Even I don’t know, I promise you! I did my medical and then [Liverpool] decided not to sign me.
“At some point they wanted to have me believe it was because of my knee, but an excuse needed to be found.”
The 26-year-old went on to join Betis last summer in a deal worth €19.75 million, and has since impressed in Spain.
And his first half performance against Barcelona set tongues wagging, with many supporters bemoaning their club’s failure to sign the talented midfielder.
One fan wrote: ‘Why on earth is Arsenal not looking to sign Fekir in the summer? He’s the perfect Ozil replacement,’ while another posted:…