Pedro could still sign a contract extension at Chelsea next season after Frank Lampard revealed that talks are ongoing regarding the attacking midfielder’s future at the club.
The 32-year-old former Spain international had been widely expected to depart as a free agent when his current deal runs out in the summer, with a move to Major League Soccer or back to Spain appearing the most likely.
However, asked if the arrival of Hakim Ziyech from Ajax on July 1 means the end for Pedro and WIllian, who is also out of contract in the summer, the head coach said: “No it doesn’t. Those conversations are ongoing with both players.”
Click to play
Tap to play
The video will start in8Cancel
Talks with Willian started months ago but no deal has yet been agreed because the Brazilian wants a two-year extension and the club’s policy is only to offer 12 months to players over the age of 30.
Lampard is keen for Willian, who has been one of the mainstays in his team, to stay and has been impressed by how the veteran pair have helped their younger team-mates this season.
However, this is the first time that Lampard has referenced the possibility of Pedro also staying beyond the summer. The World Cup winner moved to Stamford Bridge from Barcelona in 2015 and has won three trophies.
“I’ve found both to be very professional, willing and wanting to work this year and help the younger players,” Lampard said. “And get results, which is the main thing. Regardless, what they have done at this club is very well received from our end.”
Both Willian and Pedro have been free to speak to other clubs as impending free agents since January.
Reports saying the former had agreed a deal with Barcelona were wrong but the Catalan side have previously shown an interest in the 31-year-old.