Udinese director Pierpaolo Marino has made the extraordinary claim that the Premier League will soon announce that the season “is over”.
Marino, whose Udinese side is also controlled by Watford owners the Pozzo family, has declared that the English top flight will cancel the rest of the season, amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
“The Belgian Federation has already sanctioned the end of their league, despite the threats of sanctions from UEFA,” Marino told outlet Sportitalia.
“In England, the Premier League is about to release a similar statement, because the situation there is becoming very, very serious. I frankly just hope we can enjoy football again after the coronavirus.
Click to play
Tap to play
The video will start in8Cancel
“It doesn’t matter how long it takes, we need to get out of this danger zone. I am worried for the next seasons, not the old one.”
His claims come despite the Premier League last week reiterating their desire to return to action only “when it is safe and appropriate to do so.”
In a conference call between all 20 clubs, the governing bodies of the English game agreed to push back the original return date of April 30, but reassert their commitment to completing the 2019/20 campaign, not least because voiding the season could cost the clubs £750million in broadcast revenue that would have to be paid back.
A statement from the league said: “It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May – and that the 2019/20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so.
“The restart date is under constant review with all stakeholders, as the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic develops and we work together through this very challenging time.
“The Premier League is working closely with the whole of professional football in this country, as well as with the…